This is extremely comforting food when one’s been away from home for a long time. Goes well with steamed rice, noodles or as a soup.
- 1kg Beef Brisket – chopped into chunks
- 450g Daikon Radish – peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1/2 cup Shaoxing Wine (Chinese cooking wine, if not available, Sherry would do)
- 2 large knobs of Ginger – sliced
- 5 cloves Garlic –
- /2 cup Oyster Sauce
- 3 Star Anise
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 5 Cloves
- 1 1/2 tbsp of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking Oil
1. Stir fry the ginger, garlic, star anise, cinnamon stick and cloves until fragrant then add in the beef to brown it, followed by the radish.
2. Add enough water to cover all ingredients and add in the Oyster sauce and cooking wine and sugar.
3. Bring liquid to boil, lower heat and cover to simmer until meat is tender (this would take at least 1 1/2 – 2 hours). Stir the ingredients occasionally to ensure that they do not stick to the bottom of the pot.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve with steamed rice or noodles (as a main dish, you can thicken the sauce with corn starch slurry).