This years birthday cakes seem to have a chocolate note. It all started off with the surprise chocolate fudge cake for my Mum. And then came the chocolate cinnamon cake for my hubby…. and I have been craving for this for years, ever since I ate this once at a bakery far off from my home town. Never found the recipe to the cake I ate, and so I came up with my own after a few researches on the net. Generally, not a very difficult task but it took me some courage to start off. (I hate failing – a failure would ban me from baking any further!) Recipe is adapted from the Gourmettraveller.au
- 150g Butter
- 150g Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 100g flour type 405
- 50g whole wheat flour (Dinkelmehl)
- 20g Cocoa powder
- 1/2 packet Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 4 small pears (ripe but not too soft)
- 1 packet Vanilla sugar
- 100g chopped almonds
- 75g hazelnuts (blended)
- a few drops of Rum or almond essence (optional)
- 50g Pistachio (chopped)
- 2 x 100g dark chocolate ganache
- Cream the butter and sugar till evenly mixed. Add eggs one by one, beating them for at least 1 minute each before adding the next
- Add Flour, Baking powder, Cinnamon and beat till the dough is creamy and a little tough in the consistence.
- Fold in the chopped almonds, and hazelnuts, fold in the pears quickly and gently.
- Bake at 180°C for about 40-50 mins, or till the skewer comes out clean
- Let it cool in the spring form for 5 mins before opening it . Cool on a rack
- In the mean time, melt the chocolate ganache
- Spread the glazing over the cake evenly. Sprinkle with pistachio.
- Serve when completely cooled.