The Ikan Bakar Colo Colo is a popular dish made usually in Sulawesi and Maluku, using the colo colo dip. The fish is usually wrapped up in a banana leaf and grilled or “baked in the oven” The pungent smell of the banana leaf gives this fish a kick. At the same time it keeps the fish moist inside while it’s getting cooked. Thanks to Mum, it was a glorious meal we had!
1 whole fish (1kg), cleaned
1/4 tsp salt
1 banana leaf (big enough to wrap the fish)
Colo colo dip:
3 tbsp lime juice
2 tomatoes (sliced)
5 red chillies (sliced)
4 shallots (sliced)
basil leaves (20 pieces)
4 tbsp light soy sauce
1. Season the fish with salt and lime juice. Brush with oil. Clean the banana leaf under running water.
2. Wrap fish into the banana leaf
3. Grill the fish directly on the charcoal or under a grill. The grilling time depends on the size of the fish. It is done once the meat falls off easily from the fish bones.
4. For the colo colo dip, combine all ingredients and mix well.
5. You may choose to serve the sambal on top of the fish, or seperately so that each individual can use as much sambal as pleased.