The Dim Sum trollies of the ladies are usually not only laden with the dim sum goodies, but with lovely yellow egg tarts that melt and crumble in your mouth.
This is an easy to make recipe. The hardest part was finding the correct mould for this sweet! It should be 8-10cm in diameter and about 3-4cm high.
1 packet vanille sugar
80ml evaporated milk
- Put all pastry ingredients in a bowl and mix using your fingers into a stif dough. Knead it until it is workable. Refigerate for 20 mins. (if it’s not too soft, you must not refigerate)
- Meanwhile boil 300ml water with the sugar until all sugar melts. Set aside and cool
- Beat all eggs in a container, adding the sugar water, and evaporated milk. Sift the mixture at least twice, making sure the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Divide the dough evenly into 12 portions. Take each portion, roll it in your palm and flatten it. Place it in the Tart form and press the dough out evenly until the edges. Make sure the edges makes a nice rim.
- Place the tart forms now on the baking plate. Heat up the oven to 200°c. Fill out each cup to 80% and bake for about 20 – 30mins.
- The tart is finished when you make the toothpick test and it stands.
- Cool for a while before removing the tarts from the form.
- Serve cool. The custard taste best when it’s cool.