The green papaya and mango salad is a favourite Thai side dish. The sweetness of the ripe mango blends in well to the green papaya that comes somewhat tasteless and perhaps slightly sour. The challenge is to find a sweet mango or fresh green papaya in the cities to make this appetizer.
- 1 ripe mango, diced in small bite pieces
- 1 green papaya (sliced or shredded, without the skin, remove the seeds)
- 1/2 cucumber (sliced)
- long beans (optional)
- 6 sweet cocktail tomatoes (halfed, then sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed or chopped finely)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 lemon (juice) or (2) lime
- 2 sprigs of coriander leaves (chopped)
- 2 chilli Padi (or 1 if you’re not for piping hot salads)
- 1/2 red onion
- 5 mint leaves (chopped)
- 2 tbsp grounded and roasted peanuts
- Put everything in a bowl
- In a glass, add sugar, garlic, fish sauce, lemon juice, chilies and stir till most of the sugar has dissolved
- Just before serving, pour the mixture over the salad and mix vigorously.
You could also check out the version with the ripe papaya and leafy greens.