The Biryani dish is a popular meal not only in India and Pakistan but actually all over the world where indian cuisine is available. The Biryani consists of basmati rice with spices and meats or vegetables and is also widely known as comfort food to the indians at home. The word Biryani originates from the persian language meaning fried or roasted. This recipe makes the biryani rice seperately to go with chicken curry and a side vegetable dish.
Use only good quality basmati rice for best flavor and appearance. The key to making a good biryani lies in the way you par boil the rice. Do not over cook the rice.
1 tsp fresh ginger ground into a paste
1 tsp fresh garlic ground into a paste
1 tsp fresh green chilli ground into a paste
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp cardamom pods
1 tsp coriander powder
2 cups Basmati Rice
2 cups water (some of my Indian friend recommended adding Milk and Yoghurt instead of water)
1 onion – sliced
1 cup raisins or sultanas
1 cup almonds or cashews
Salt to taste
1/2 cup butter
- Mix spices well then set aside.
- Heat butter in rice cooker, then fry the onions until transparent then add in the mixed spice, raisins and nuts.
- Add the rice to the onion mixture and fry the rice gently.
- Add in the water and mix well. Saffron is optional
- Service with a side of Chicken curry, pappadam and vegetables.