Kaya is a favourite Asian coconut spread. It tastes best on the soft white bread (yeah, the one which everyone says that it’s unhealthy) or on toasts. It consists of basic ingredients which we all have at home. Eggs, coconut milk, sugar, and screwpine leaves (pandan). Screwpine leaves are available in the Asian grocery stores in the bigger cities of Germany. I usually buy a bundle and freeze them up, so that I can use them whenever I need them. The secret behind the success is pointed at two tiny things. How often you stir and how you cook it. For me, the double boil has never failed for me.
My Kaya is sweet. With a plain white bread, the sweetness for me is just right. If you like it less sweet, just take 20-30g of sugar away.
10 pandan (screwpine) leaves
1 drop green colouring (optional)
250ml coconut milk
- Cut the pandan leaves in 5 cm pieces, then blend finely with 50ml of water. Strain the juice from the leaves (You can use green coloring and the pandan essence as well, but it won’t taste very natural)
- In the double boiler, add in 5 eggs, and whisk till light and bubbly. Add in the coconut milk, sugar, and everything else. Whisk.
- In the meantime, heat up the pot of water. The water should not be filled until the rim of the pot. Take care that the water in the pot should also be almost as high as the ingredients in your double boiler so that it cooks nicely. If you do not posess a double boiler, you could just use a stainless steel bowl (big enough for all ingredients) and a pot that is just big enough that the bowl sits on the rim)
- Once the water boils, put your double boiler on top and after 5 minutes, stir every now and then. I used the whisk to make sure the mixture is thoroughly mixed and fluffy. After about 10 minutes, you will start to notice how the mixture starts to thicken up. You should turn down the heat so that the water in the pot is just bubbling lightly. No water is allowed to get into the ingredients.
- After about 45 – 60 minutes, the jam should be thick and gooey.
- Leave to cool, then fill this up in clean and sterile jars.
Makes 2x 200ml jars, if kept refrigerated from the start, it should be good for about 2 months. But the sooner you eat this, the better.