Comfort food alarm! My grandma made this for me when I was a little kid. I loved the smell of kafir leaves with a mixture of chilly and garlic.
2 medium-size Eggplants
10 fresh red chilies
4 cloves garlic
6 tbsp cooking oil
- Cut the chilies in pieces, put all of the chilly in the blender together with sugar, a dash of salt, kafir leaves, belacan, and 50ml water. Blend till smooth.
- Pour the blended/pounded ingredients in a heated pan with oil, and fry under low heat till fragrant.
- Once the sambal starts to get “oily” take this away from the heat and leave aside to cool.
- The eggplant can be steamed or fried in the pan. I usually prefer steaming the brinjals as they stay juicy, it’s less oily too. Wash and halve the brinjal lengthwise. If you have bigger brinjals, you could cut them in stripes. This will speed up the cooking time.
- Steam for 15 mins, or fry with some oil in the pan, until the brinjal is cooked.
- Place the brinjal on a plate and spread the sambal now on top of the brinjal evenly.
Garnish with some coriander and serve warm.