Have you ever tried one of these patties yet? Shrimp cake is one of the street foods you may find commonly in Thailand. In most restaurants in the west, it’s a favourite for starters. In Malaysia or Singapore, the fish cake variation is more common. You find fish cakes garnished in hor fun, curry mee or diverse Asian noodle soups. There are so many ways to use them. Easy, yet tasty! As a side dish, eat them together with a tempting sweet chilly sauce or a sriracha sauce. In fact the chilly sauce is so part of the ingredient, you can’t serve them without each other. The modern variety is to coat your patties in bread crumbs, which surely delights not only the younger mouths.
You may use fish, scallops or even squids instead to vary it. Its essential to fit the amount of cornstarch depending on which fish type, so that the mixture does not get too watery.
Preparation time: 5 mins + 15 min freezing
Cooking time: 15 mins
Makes about 20
250g raw prawns (washed, shelled, deveined, roughly chopped)
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp cornstarch
1 large egg
dash white pepper
2 cilantro roots, chopped (optional)
1 tbsp curry powder
1/2 bowl chopped long beans
2 sprigs Thai basil leaves (leaves finely chopped)
1/2 cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
Coriander leaves to garnish ((cilantro)
1. Clean the prawns, shelled, deveined and roughly chopped. Add all the ingredients and the prawns into a food processor (except the beans and basil leaves)
2. Blend for 30 seconds. The mixture is good when it’s thick and gooey but too soft to stay on your hands.
3. Add in the chopped long beans and basil leaves. Mix thoroughly.
4. Put the whole mixture into the freezer for 15 minutes, for easier moulding.
5. Dip your fingers in cold water, then mould the mixture into little patties. (Alternatively, you can use 2 spoons to form the mass before you add them into the hot oil. Patt a little to flatten)
6. Heat up a wok of oil, with oil just enough to cover half the patties.
5. Fry until nicely brown, about 2 minutes on each side. (longer, if it’s thicker)
6. Ladle the browned patties on a kitchen towel to absorb access oil. Garnish with cucumber sticks and cilantro leaves. Serve with sweet chilli sauce.